"While we try to teach our children all about life, our children teach us what life is all about." ~Angela Schwindt~

Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Update on Roo

Well my day went most unexpectedly. Woke up, went to work and received a phone call from the daycare that Abigail has had a seizure. They told me that they had already called an ambulance, and should be leaving any moment to head to Patty A Clay. They told me that her teacher Ms. G would ride along in the ambulance with her so she wouldn’t be alone. I left work immediately to race to the hospital in Richmond, from my office it would probably take about 45 minutes to get there. I’m honestly surprised that I didn’t get a ticket on my way there. Jason arrived to the hospital about 2-3 minutes after the ambulance and I was about 15 minutes after him.

When I arrived at the ER, I came in and she was being so brave. They were monitoring her heart rate and had taken her temperature. When I arrived they had to get a urine and blood sample. They also hooked her up to an IV for fluids. I honestly wish we had been able to take her to UK (where all her doctors are) instead of Patty A Clay, but that is the closest hospital to the daycare, and that is where they always send their children if they have an emergency. There is absolutely NO comparison to “pediatric nurses” and regular nurses in working with babies.

The nurse couldn’t find her little vein to get her blood, they weren’t easily able to get the IV in, and they had trouble with the cath to get her urine sample. I just remember when we took her to central Baptist they had the same problem, but at UK, it was like GOLD. They have amazing pediatric unit there, and the doctor’s are amazing.

At the appointment all her blood work and urine were perfect. Her temperature was fine, and they said she was just perfect. They did a consult on the phone with the pediatric neurologist that Abigail sees and they prescribed her a daily medication called Keppra / Levetiracetam, which is syrup that she will take it twice daily. They were concerned that this was her third seizure in a period of 8 months.

Her first episode of seizures they diagnosed as “febrile” seizures even though she had them without a fever, she had them with an illness, and however this time she had her seizure she didn’t have a fever either. They have diagnosed her with “unproved” seizures. We took her to her pediatrician today also he wanted to see her, and take a look. Physically he said she was wonderful. Hears, eyes, nose, throat, reflexes, body, everything was just perfect.

I called her make her follow up appointment with her neurologist and they are supposed to call me back within 48 hours for her appointment time. They will need to see her within 2 weeks since they have added additional medication and they want to do another EEG and MRI.

It is the worst feeling in the world to have your child in pain, discomfort, or something medically wrong with them that you can’t control. However looking back on this day, I praise God for the safety and provision he had over her. She had her seizure when her teacher picked her up to change her. She was being held during the seizure by one of her favorite people and they were able to leave the room and have her medication ready within two minutes of the seizure starting. Her most favorite teacher was able to ride in the ambulance with her and stay with her until we got there with her, and Jason and I were both able to arrive safely at the hospital within minutes of her arrival.

I am so thankful for a job, that I can just walk out on in a moment’s notice when something comes up, and for a supportive and loving husband/father that loves his family more than anything. It was so hard to hear her cry, scream, get mad from the nurses poking and prodding on her. She was in such sweet spirits considering the situation. We blew up purple gloves in the ER and played with them. We played peek a boo with daddy’s hat, and I was so thankful that my car was a mess because I found some much needed necessities in there: Paccy, Sippy cup, play keys, toy microphone, and some much needed snacks. The daycare sent some diapers and wipes, so we were all set for our long day full of doctors. There was a several hour lapse between the ER and the DR appointment and I was able to swaddle her up and just rock her while she slept. I held her tightly and prayed for her. I told her before she went to sleep that I wished she didn’t have to hurt, and I would take it all away if I could. I told her that I loved her more than anything and that we would get her the best care we could.

Its so funny because after we left the ER I told Jason to stop by Kroger and get her some balloons on his way home. He called me and said they only have Happy Birthday balloons, and I told him that was fine since she couldn’t read. So she has a Hanny many balloon that says happy birthday to go with her bouquet of purple glove balloons we blew up in the ER. She loves to play with them. We filled her prescription and are going to give her the first dose in the morning. We wanted to be able to closely monitor her with a new medicine in her. I love her so much. I told her no more scary stuff this evening and she reached up and wiped my tear. She is the sweetest little girl with the sweetest little heart.

We should know more in a few weeks, I know that I can't have control over this situation, and I am so thankful for a God who is.  I thank all my family and friends for their prayers, we definately felt them.  I have had the song by Plumb stuck in my head for a few days now, and what wonderful song to have stuck in my head today.  God will always have us SAFE IN HIS ARMS.
 
Safe in My Arms:  By Plumb
 
Your baby blues
So full of wonder
Your Curly Que's
Your contagious smile
And as I watch
You start to grow up
All I can do is hold you tight
Knowing

Clouds will rage in
Storms will race in
But you will be safe in my arms
Rains will pour down
Waves will crash all around
But you will be safe in my arms

Story books
Are full of fairy-tales
Of kings and queens
And the bluest skies
My heart is torn just in knowing
You'll someday see
The truth for lies

Clouds will rage in
Storms will race in
But you will be safe in my arms
Rains will pour down
Waves will crash all around
But you will be safe in my arms

Castles they might crumble
Dreams may not come true
Cause you are never all alone
Cause I will always
Always love you

Hey I
Hey I
Will love

Clouds will rage in
Storms will race in
But you will be safe in my arms
Rains will pour down
Waves will crash all around
But you will be safe in my arms
In my arms



1 comment:

  1. Oh, Lesley....I read everyone on facebook saying that they cried after reading your post, and now I'm sitting here bawling too!! I cannot imagine how scared you are and how much you want to just wrap her up in bubble wrap and keep her with you at all times..but know that Jesus loves her even MORE! He is with her even when you are not able to be. Be reassured in this. Hang in there, and take care of yourself and lil baby #2, too. Rest when you can. It seems like I know someone who has a child with a seizure disorder but I can't remember who....I'll be praying that God will bring them back to mind and I can refer you to them, hopefully!!

    ReplyDelete